Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Big Twelve Schools-Race Based?

Initially, I found this assignment to be quite frustrating and confusing because I could not seem to get a clear answer on the question of which schools actually considered race in their admissions process.  My first thought was that I would be able to make a list of all the Big XII universities and simply check "yes" or "no" next to each one but as I began my research I found that things just were not that simple. 

 

            So I started my research with a few phone calls thinking I would call, ask a question, get an answer and do it again at another school.  I first called the Kansas State admissions office and when I asked if race was considered in their admissions process I received a very timid response.  The woman stated, "No…not really.  Well, kind of….I mean, we try to promote diversity in our student body".  That was not really the clear-cut answer I was looking for but I took it as a "yes".

            Next, I spoke with Nebraska University and I was told that race was definitely not considered in their admissions process.  Check. 

            Then I spoke with Texas Tech and my answer was a little less clear.  I received an answer much like that at Kansas State.  Essentially, my understanding was that race is kind of considered and kind of not considered and it's more about diversity. 

 

            After these few phone calls I felt like this issue was getting more complicated so I did some research on the Internet to find out some background information about race-based admissions and affirmative action programs.  After digging around for a while I learned that this issue was very controversial and there have been numerous lawsuits about it (which put into perspective some of the unease I felt when I made my phone calls).  Basically, there appear to be two major Supreme Court decisions regarding race-based admissions.  One decision states that it is ok to use race as a factor in admissions so long as it is considered with other factors and used generally to promote diversity.  The other decision stated that using a point system for race was taking it too far and was unconstitutional. 


            So with this in mind I found that basically every school in the Big XII desires to promote diversity in some form or fashion.  Also, I get the feeling that race-based admissions policies are something that nearly all schools have (to one extent or another) but they try to keep them relatively vague and not to specific because if they articulate the specifics, they might end up getting sued!



2 comments:

  1. That was very surprising to hear what you were told when you called the Kansas State University admissions office. I would have thought they would have denied the fact that they were race-based until the end of days! I noticed that you mentioned that race was and was not considered, but that they wanted to promote diversity. I feel that is true with many schools nowadays because if there are schools with majority white populations, they are much more easily considered racist against minorities-particularly in the south. Since the Big 12 is also part of public system of colleges, I would have expected it to be more "politically correct" since it is part of a government controlled system. At the same time, public colleges also have a tendency to have higher attendance rates among students compared to that of private colleges, which tend to be smaller.

    ReplyDelete