Friday, February 27, 2009

Race and Gender Stereotypes

 

2-21-09. 8:20pm

Warren Theater—Moore, OK

Film

Taken

Two girls go to Europe and are swooned by a man and ultimately kidnapped by a group of Eastern Europeans.

Gender Stereotypes

 

2-22-09— HBO(On Demand). 2:00pm

Film

Guess Who

Movie is a comedy about white man dating a black girl and she is introducing him to her parents

Racial Assumptions/Racial Stereotypes

 

2-22-09—ABC Network. 10:00pm

Television

Oscars—Sean Penn's acceptance speech

He discusses the issue of gay marriage

Gender stereotypes

 

 

2-23-09—12:30pm

Personal Conversation with Arliegh XXXXX. Friend.

Café Plaid

Discussion about the large amount of female teachers in elementary schools

Gender Stereotypes

 

 

2-23-09—MTV (Tivo).11:00pm

Television

TV Show: From G's to Gents

One of the black cast members is pushed into a pool and is unable to swim

Racial Stereotype

 

 

2-24-09— CW Network.  8:00pm

Television

90210

A black character who is dating a white girl attends an all black party in Beverly Hills

Racial Stereotypes

 

 

 

 

2-24-09. 11:15pm

Film (DVD)

Welcome Home Rosco Jenkins

One of the black family members brings home a white girl to the family event

Racial Stereotypes

 

2-25-09 Class: Juvenile Justice.

Dale Hall,  1:30 T TH

Classroom Experience

Discussion about gender and juvenile delinquency

Gender Stereotypes

 

2-25-09, 7:30pm

Personal conversation with Mary XXX.  Random woman with Child next to me in line.

Café Plaid

Talked to woman with baby and she stated that she was looking after the baby while her husband was at work.

Gender Stereotype

 

2-25-09, VH1. 10:00pm

Television

TV Show: Black to the Future: The 80's (Check out Black to the Future on VH1.com)

Discussion about blacks and break dancing and how Jewish kids are actually surprisingly good break dancers as well

Racial Stereotypes

 


2-26-09,--TNT Network. 1:00pm

Television

TV Show: Law & Order

Female on the stand at trial makes a statement that men like to hide their feelings

Gender Stereotype

 

2-26-09--HBO. 11:00pm

Television

Movie: Bad Boys

Interaction between two black police officers and two Cuban police officers

Racial Stereotypes

 

 

Were you surprised with the amount of stereotyping that exists in media today?

 

            I was not really surprised with the amount of stereotyping that exists in the media today.  First, although stereotyping is generally a negative way to view the world, especially when it comes to race and gender, it can also be used in parody.  Numerous films and television shows play off these stereotypes for comical relief and the reason it is comical because many people do recognize certain stereotypes regarding race or gender.  However, stereotypes can also be taken too far and have a more detrimental effect in more personal interactions.  Secondly, I feel that stereotypes are often used for marketing purposes because it is easier to market or advertise to a category of people and stereotypes provide a system for categorizing different audiences. 

 

 

How did you feel if you experienced racial or gender stereotyping in personal or social experiences?

 

            I do not like to be judged based on a stereotype because I do not categorically fit into every stereotype about women.  Although I do happen to fit into some of those stereotypes I appreciate people developing their opinions about me based on actually knowing me as opposed to trying to haphazardly throwing me into some general stereotype.

 

 

Do you see how the continuous or cultivation of images affects representation and individual perspectives of different ethnic groups and women? 

 

            I do see how the continuous or cultivation of images affects representation and individual perspectives of different ethnic groups and women because when those images change, so do the stereotypes.  In regards to women, I feel that the old notion that women should never work and stay at home all the time is ridiculous.  Although some closed-minded people still believe adhere to this notion, I feel that it is gradually subsiding in our society due to many women going out into the working world and being successful and even running for president!

4 comments:

  1. I pretty much agree with everything you're saying here. There are a lot of stereotypes in movies but I agree that quite a few of these stereotypes are used as comical relief and are funny because people don't believe them to be true. In my opinion a lot of movies use these stereotypes to make fun of those who believe these false beliefs to be true.

    I myself also do not like being judged based on stereotypes. I feel that I am often seen as an arrogant little frat guy who drinks all the time and could care less about anything but having a good time. Just because I enjoy wearing the occasional polo and drinking beer on the weekends doesn't mean I deserve the label I feel is often given to me. It's nice when people judge me on what I truly represent, which in my opinion shouldn't be considered a luxury like it is today.

    I also agree that women shouldn't be stereotyped as house moms and should be accepted in the business world. In fact I would love nothing more for my wife to make enough money for me to be a stay at home dad. But in a serious note, I am actually guilty to an extent when it comes to feeding the stay at home mom stereotype. I hope to be able to provide a good enough living for my family to where my wife can stay at home with the kids if she pleases. If she wants to work that's fine too but I remember when I was younger my mom didn't work and it was awesome. I ate whatever I wanted for lunch and went to cool places rather than having to go to day care. I would like to be able for that to be an option for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding female stereotypes, there has definitely been a shift in our perspective of women in terms of their life purpose. Since the 80s, it is more acceptable for women to go to college and actually pursue a career, and we see a lot more women in the media representing that. However, it is still assumed that the woman has to make the choice whether to work or stay home with the children, and I know some people believe women in the workplace are therefore "bad" mothers. Maybe with enough time, society will be more accepting of working mothers and stay-at-home dads and each family can decide which parent works (if not both).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a media professional, you will do your part to open the door to awareness

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said that a lot of times stereotypes are used for comic relief and marketing purposes. I like that you pointed that out.

    Last night I went to OU I Love You, a student produced film festival. Of 12 films about 4 were comedies. Two of the comedies featured Indian (like from India) main characters.

    I found it to be an interesting statement that Indian main characters (or any characters) were only featured in the comedies. One "swears on his Bobi" or however you spell it and play up their accents to the point where English might be a little broken or just hard to understand.

    My friend said that as soon as she saw the film begin with an Indian guy in it that she thought it was going to be a comedy and that their accents would be exaggerated.

    This has become a familiar stereotype because in many Hollywood movies, an Indian man with a deep accent is often a source of comic relief. Maybe he will have some one-liners or just be seen in passing.

    I wonder how I would feel about my race being a joke in a lot of movies...

    ReplyDelete